The Client provides approximately 1 million legal services annually in English and French for financially eligible low-income Ontarians in criminal, family, immigration/refugee, and poverty law matters delivered through staff, certificate, and clinic service providers.
This process review will enable the definition and improvement of Client processes, and input to consider service delivery enhancements that are consistent with current Client and Government expectations.
The last comprehensive business process review of this type was conducted by the Client in the early 2000s and resulted in a highly customized system. Since that time, there has been a marked shift in how clients access information and the number of service channels available to them owing to advancements in technology witnessed over the last two decades.
- Certificates – Private practice lawyers provide full representation for eligible clients.
- Court-based Duty Counsel services – in-court assistance is provided by both staff and private lawyers, in-person and remotely, in every court jurisdiction in Ontario.
- Staff services – Clients receive services in family and immigration matters from staff lawyers in locations across the province, and from Senior Counsel serving clients who are difficult to serve effectively through
- core channels, often due to multiple vulnerabilities.
- Agency-funded community clinics – poverty law services are available to clients at 72 independent legal clinics throughout the province who specialize in clinic law.
- Student legal services organizations – law school students deliver lawyer-supervised client services in poverty law, immigration law and minor criminal matters.
- Indigenous Legal Services – The client has contracted with various agencies.
- French language services – The client is subject to the French Language Services Act (FLSA) requiring the provision of its communications and services in French.
- Interpretation services – many end clients speak neither English nor French and require the use of an interpreter to access services.
- To support of the project, the Client will have a dedicated project team.
The Business Process Consultant will be expected to work independently under the direction of an ICG Member Managing Director to conduct a review and analysis of its client-facing business and workflow processes, procedures, and activities. The Business Process Consultant will be responsible for guiding Client through all stages of the business process review.
Minimum an undergraduate degree in Business, Economics, Finance, Computer Science, Information Technology or related experience
Professional Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of and experience with business transformation, process improvement and change management
- Demonstrated experience with conducting improvement workshops and demonstrating results such as reduction of cycle time, quality improvement, reduction of work in process and improved team building and
- decision making.
- Expertise in the application of continuous improvement tools and techniques such as Lean Six Sigma, AGILE, Business Process Reengineering, and Theory of Constraints (TOC).
- Experience in conducting interviews to gain insight into an organization and to uncover and document processes.
- Experience in developing and implementing performance measurement frameworks.
- Experience in performing business analyses of functional requirements to identify information, procedures and decision flows and develop associated data dictionaries.
- Experience in conducting value stream analyses and documenting knowledge inputs and outputs as well as “as is” and “to be” processes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to articulate the benefits of change, build skills within a team environment and get stakeholder buy-in for change initiatives.
- Knowledge of latest theories, models and strategies for assessing and leading organizational change, including documenting and design of business processes.
- Demonstrated ability to understand the inter-relationship between job design, business processes and technology tools as contributors to organizational effectiveness.
- Experience in conducting organizational reviews and operational effectiveness assessments and in designing organizational structures that facilitate the achievement of business goals.
- Experience in defining the impact that change will have on staff/management/customers.
- Experience in developing and implementing change management strategies, including the use of different approaches for implementation.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation and stakeholder management skills.
- Ability to prioritize workload, demonstrate critical thinking, identify problems, and develop and implement solutions.
- Strong customer service orientation to ensure the needs of Clients are effectively met.
- Excellent communication/presentation skills in both verbal and written formats to all levels of the organization.
- A team player with excellent multi-tasking abilities and a proven track record for meeting strict deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including group facilitation skills, experience in preparing reports, proposals, briefing materials, presentations, and other communications
Tasks & Deliverables:
Throughout the project engagement, the consultant is expected to provide regular Client updates (the meeting cadence to be determined as part of the final Statement of Work) along with a written project status/progress report being provided listing what has been achieved and upcoming activities, issues, risks, decision and action required etc.
Tasks will include but are not limited to:
- Discussion with selected staff and management to understand the objective and goals of the current process and to understand the pain points being experienced.
- Compile and review pertinent background information including conducting a current state process analysis by running workshops with departments to review current processes to begin identifying opportunities to improve.
- Analyse gaps in process workflows to identify opportunities for efficiencies.
- Identify and review the existing document business process as/is state, and how they have been designed in the systems, along with understanding of any integrations with other systems that support the business requirements.
- Conduct a documented analysis to identify any existing processes that are in use by Client but are currently not formally documented.
- Identification of actual business requirements (the needs), informed by existing processes (the functions currently in place to fulfil the business need) and legislative mandate.
- Propose new business processes that would optimize staff efficiency and improve the Total Experience (TX).Review data capture and reporting frameworks for optimization and evaluation of business processes.
- Identify processes that should be electronic or automated and that currently are done outside of systems (i.e., manually).Create journey maps of the Total Experience (TX) covering all processes included in scope of the engagement.
- Prepare functional requirements of all the business requirements that have been reviewed so that they can be translated accurately to any future system solutions. The consultant will meet with representatives of all relevant business functions to ensure all business requirements have been captured accurately.
- A final report that provides an executive summary, detailed recommendations regarding work processes that could increase efficiency and effectiveness, and detailed business functional requirements specifications documented therein
This review seeks to:
- Identify potential changes to end client-facing work processes that would increase the organization’s efficiency and effectiveness, improve alignment and integration between internal departments/divisions engaged in related activities, and fulfill its statutory obligations.
- Identify future service delivery opportunities that can be leveraged (i.e. what processes currently being performed could be made more efficient, reduced, or removed entirely, through automation, or other technological solutions including updating or replacing PS and/or other software).
- Complete a process review and documentation of detailed functional requirements of all processes so that they can be translated accurately to any future system solutions.
- Issue a business process review (BPR) report and functional specification requirements to inform future IT transformation and system replacements, investments, and modernization through digital or self-service options.
Start Date: October 31, 2023 Duration: 10-month contract ending September 5, 2024
- Description of most recent and similar project(s): scope of services, project objectives, constraints, deliverables, and outcomes.
- Role of consultant, project cost, and duration of project.
- Reference contacts including name, title, organization, email, and telephone number.
Rates: Net $CAD 100,000. Intended contract for 10 months, paid in installments paid 30 days after delivery and acceptance of each agreed deliverable.
Close date: No later than Thursday, August 17th 2023, 5pm ET
APTs must be lodged within 48 hours. We will review all APTs and select the best 3 for the client. The client will then conduct interviews.